Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Six Years Ago...

Today is the anniversary (if you can call it that) of the day Curtis' mom died.  Every year in February, something happens and we remember her and the things she went through. 

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 (12)

Jolene Rasband was born on September 6, 1939.  Here she is with her brothers and sisters, (minus one).  Can you find her?  If you said the one that looks a lot like Deidre you are right.  She is in the back on the right.  She grew up in Heber and had many good memories of her childhood.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

This is her high school photo.  She was a pretty girl!  When she died, a friend of hers from high school said he remembered she was the one in the Jantzen sweaters.  (Those were really cool!)

 

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 (9)

Here is a photo from her wedding day. 

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 (3)

Cheryl remembers her making lots of their clothes when they were little.  She liked to sew.  She was a good mom to four children, she sacrificed a lot (anything) for her whole family.

Curtis & Jolene 8-94

Curtis and his mom on our wedding day.  I remember she was not very happy about having to wear black,  I thought she looked pretty.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 (4)

She had friends from everywhere.  These ladies were from the state capital.  Their husbands were all in the House of Representatives.  They would sit in the gallery above the room where the legislators were and crochet.  They called them selves the "Happy Hookers"  and loved each other dearly.

She was friendly to everyone,  I was amazed at her funeral at all of her friends.  She had friends from every walk of life. 

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 (8)

We went on our one and only extended family vacation the summer before she got sick, (actually she didn't feel good on our trip) to Nauvoo.    This pic is from Winter Quarters, we stopped a few places along the way.  We had fun, even with 14 grandchildren.  She always wanted to be around her family and loved the children ( and worried about them all, individually).  Two weeks after we got home, she was in the hospital. 

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 (5)

After her divorce, she got sick and had 5 rounds of chemo.  One time a few of the grandsons shaved their heads to show grandma how much they loved her.  (none of them look really happy do they?)

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 (6)

She moved in with us in October after a few bad weeks and my kids were so glad to have her with us.  We have a lot of really great memories of her living with us, Bailey and Camden loved to go in her room and sit with her in her chair.  Bailey was almost 5 when she passed away.  I wish we would have written down more of the things she said and did while she lived with us, some of the memories are priceless.  Ask us sometime, we would love to share.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 (13)

I am often sad for the things I feel like my children missed out on by not knowing her better.  I am known to tell my own parents they have to step up because my parents are the only grandparents my children will know in this life. 

I learned a lot from Jolene and miss her all of the time.  I know Curtis does too, he had a special relationship with her, she was always his champion.  He was the baby and so they had a lot of time together.  He would do anything for his mom, which is one of the reasons  that I fell in love with him.  Thanks for letting me share, I miss her today.

9 comments:

Richins Family said...

Thanks for sharing. She definitely was an amazing lady, and is so very missed. I notice things that I took for granted when she was here that now I wish I could still enjoy. Little things she said and did. What a great example she was to us all. You are awesome, and I am so glad that you are here to keep us together. You are amazing as always - Love ya!

Emily said...

I will always remember that time in your life. The example of love and service from both you and Curtis is truly inspiring. What a beautiful tribute.

(I think Curtis looks a lot like his mother.)

Fancypants said...

What a sweet and loving tribute. I remember Jolene as well and she was a wonderful lady and raised a wonderful son. You're family is so great Tera!

cami said...

I am so impressed with your tribute to Jolene! I can tell you spent alot of time reminiscing about her life. It was so fun to see all of those picutres of her through the years. It's hard for me to believe its been six years since that day. I remember looking out my front window and seeing the funeral home there to pick her up, knowing she had just left this life. My heart broke for you and the kids, but especially Curtis. You could see that the two of them had a special mom/son bond. I remember him dropping everything anytime his mom called and needed him. He was so kind to her. I also know how much he misses her, as you all do.

You, Tera, on the other hand, were an angel sent straight from heaven. I will always admire you for the way you so lovingly took care of Jolene those five months she lived with you. I wish I had been a better support to you during those short months. I've learned so much from you. You truly emulated charity. I know how much she appreciated you taking her in, and attending to her every need. I don't think she would've wanted to be anywhere else. You were also there for her in that sacred moment she passed over to the other side. You made it easier for her-even though it wasn't easy for you. You are indeed an angel.

I think 'Anniversary' is the perfect word to use in remembering the incredible life of this wonderful mom and grandma. It's good to have anniversaries of things (events & people) so that we don't forget the important moments in our lives. After all, life is precious and short.

Lindsay said...

She was such a nice lady.

Anonymous said...

Okay....now I have 'sweaty eye syndrome' with the lump in the throat! Thanks for your great example. I'm glad you keep her memory alive.

Wendy

MaddyChick said...

This is a great tribute. I have many memories of Aunt Jolene, she was a very talented lady. I don't think I'll ever taste a fresh tomato without thinking of her. She always had a big smile on her face!

Anonymous said...

Dear Tera and Curtis, Thanks so much for the remembrance of Jolene. I miss her so much and often have things I want to tell her or ask her. I cherish the times we had together writing her history, and laughing, and crying. Even if sometimes it was right after her chemo treatments. When I want to go somewhere I miss calling her and saying "let's go!" She was the most giving loving person I have ever met. (Except for maybe you!) Love you guys so much! Kathryn

...Sheri said...

T~ now I am having to tilt my head from side to side to see past the tears. I loved Jolene too. She was always so nice to me, the occasional tag-a-long and uninvited - but heartily welcomed - guest to her home.
I am always amazed when I think back to that time in your life, -- you cared for her and loved her so well. I want to be like you when I grow up. lub you...